Accepting new patients
I am accepting new patients.
For an appointment, please call 252-243-9629.
Doctor of Medicine: 1997
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: 2002
Sports Medicine : 2003
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery: 2005
Honors and Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha
Founder of Carolina Sports Medicine Institute
Dr. Lewis P. Martin aka. “The Shoulder Guy” is a native of Richmond, Virginia. He attended the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and Medical College of Virginia in Richmond obtaining a B.S. in Physical Therapy in 1989. After 4 years of work as a physical therapist in a variety of clinical settings he then returned to school and obtained a Master Degree in Human Anatomy with subspecialty emphasis in immunology. Then back to the Medical College of Virginia in 1993 for medical school. He later graduated 12th in his class of 168 and collected a number of academic awards and scholarships. Orthopaedic residency at MCV followed as did the internationally recognized Sports Medicine fellowship with the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Denver, CO. There he gained sports medicine experience with the Denver Broncos and Colorado Rockies. He has also spent time training with the Dr. Pascal Boileau, MD. A world leader, in shoulder surgery techniques in Nice, France.
He is founder of Carolina Sports Medicine Institute, a non-profit organization which performs outcomes based clinical research here in Wilson, Nash and Wayne counties.
His area of expertise and specialty training is shoulder and knee reconstructive surgery. Presently, he is the only Board Certified Sports Medicine Physician in the area with fellowship training and routinely performs a wide variety of surgery in his chosen field.
These include arthroscopic reconstructions:
1) Shoulder: rotator cuff repair, Bankart reconstruction, capsulorraphy, biceps tenodesis, subacromial decompression, and distal clavicle excision, and capsular release.
2) Knee: ACL reconstruction with functional double bundle technique, Double bundle PCL reconstruction, meniscal repair, O.A.T.S, Carticel, meniscal debridement, and medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction,
Also open surgical reconstructions:
1) Shoulder: ORIF of shoulder fractures, hemiarthroplasty of the shoulder with or without allograft labral reconstruction, patch augmentation rotator cuff repairs, total shoulder replacement with resurfacing technique, ministem anatomic technique, traditional total shoulder replacement, and reverse shoulder replacement for rotator cuff tear arthropathy and fractures.
2) Knee: Minimal IncisionTotal Knee replacement, Oxford and Repicci unicondylar knee replacement, Makoplasty unicondylar medial, patellofemoral and lateral condyle knee replacement,
3) Hip: In special occasions upon request and approval he will offer traditional total hip replacement and does a number of these procedures annually
He resides in Wilson, North Carolina with roots in Lumberton, and Richmond, VA. He has a wonderful wife Susan to whom he has been married for 20 years and has two beautiful daughters Rachel and Abby. He has participated in surgical mission trips to Nicaruaga and educational exchanges in Europe. He is presently accepting new patients.